Monday, August 3, 2009

3 going on 16

Emily is quite the character! Today, as I was sweeping the garage (yes, I did just type that and did actually sweep the garage), Emily comes out and announces, "I'm going shopping Mommy."

Mommy: Where are you going Emily?

Emily: I'm going to Target.

Mommy: What are you going to buy?

Emily: I'm gonna buy some toys.

Mommy: Okay well have fun.

Emily: I'm gonna take the car, okay?

Mommy: Okay. [Ha!] Do you know where the keys are?

Emily: I do! In the drawer. I'm gonna get them! I'll be right back.

[Emily scurries inside and I continue sweeping the garage. Kyle is outside with me, 'helping' sweep while riding on Mater.]

Emily [comes back with the keys and her Minnie Mouse wallet strapped around her wrist]: I got them! Can you help me open the door?

Mommy: No, sorry honey. If you are going to drive and go to Target all by yourself, you need to be able to get in the car by yourself.

Emily: Kyle, can you help me open the door? [Kyle has opened the door before and they both know this fact.]

Kyle [being the cheery, helpful brother he is]: Sure, Emmy, I'll help you!!

Emily [Kyle opens the door]: Thanks Kyle!

Emily proceeds to climb into the drivers seat and put the keys into the ignition! She doesn't turn the keys because they actually aren't all the way in, but in enough for her liking. At this point, I'm still sweeping, but take a break long enough to put the emergency brake on, just in case she manages to get it into a position to move. I quickly holler to Jeff to come out and see this and grab my phone to take pictures.

Jeff comes out and talks with her a bit about her proposed adventure.

Emily: Daddy, can you do the pedals for me?
Daddy: No, sorry Emily.
Emily: Mommy, can you do the pedals for me?
Mommy: No, sorry Emily. If you are going to drive, you have to be able to do them yourself.
Daddy: Are you sure you can go driving Emily? Do you have a license? [showing her our licenses]
Emily: Yes.
Daddy: Where is your license?
Emily [very matter of fact]: It's in my bag.

She's got a good idea of how the car works and what her limitations are, but just isn't willing to accept no for an answer when she has her mind set!! Guess we're going to need to hide the car keys from her!!

Ready to go!

Can you do the pedals for me please?

My feet almost touch the floor!

I'm serious!!

I've got my wallet and license!

This sort of reminds me of the book Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus...

1 comment:

GT said...

lol that is awesome AND scary.