Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fruit leather

Growing up, we would go blueberry, apple and peach picking. I'm sure my mom made so many different yummy treats from these, but the one I remember the most is fruit leather. It's basically a fruit roll up but without the added stuff and far better tasting and better for you. I feel bad even calling it "like a fruit roll-up" because it's so much better. This is just fruit (there may be a touch of water or sugar but minimal at best) dried and dried and oh so delicious! So I tried my hand at it since we only had a bazillion strawberries needing to go into something. And everyone loved it!! The consistency wasn't totally there - there were a few gooey parts to it, but overall, it was tasty. And knowing that this fruit roll up was just fruit with a touch of sugar, it made it even better!
Just before going into the oven (it goes in for several hours on very low heat) and then dries outside the oven for more time.

No comments: