Saturday, May 7, 2011

Breakfast Popsicle

Today I was reading an article about parents having a "yes day". We all know that as parents, the word "no" seems to occur quite frequently. So the idea is to create a "yes day" where the kids can get what they want most of the time. Now of course there are limits to this, but I do like the idea. One of the things this mom in particular said yes to was popsicles for breakfast. And just why would she say yes you ask? Because she made special breakfast popsicles! They are basically smoothies frozen into popsicles. So today Emily and I made some breakfast popsicles. They are very easy to make. There was a rough recipe that I read, but I am not really one to follow recipes, unless it's for baking and then I'll follow the directions for the staple ingredients. So here is what was in our breakfast popsicles:
  • Plain Greek yogurt - because we happened to have some on hand from when the cousins were visiting since we knew they LOVE Greek yogurt. The kids used to eat it all the time, but for some reason we got away from it. I am not a huge fan of it since it tastes a little too close to sour cream for me. But I digress. It has great calcium and more protein than regular yogurt so I may make myself start liking it.
  • Fresh strawberries - probably about 15-20. Emily counted out the first 10, but then we added more as we tasted it along the way.
  • Dash of vanilla
  • Turbinado sugar - probably 2-3 tablespoons????
  • Honey - when we realized we should have used honey instead of sugar, we switched. We probably squeezed 3 tablespoons
  • Milk - enough to give it a more liquidy consistency
Then we poured it into popsicle molds to put in the freezer. We had a ton leftover so I grabbed 4 more kid cups, threw a popsicle stick in the middle of them and popped those into the freezer as well. We'll test them out tomorrow to see how they taste. I'm pretty excited and hopeful with these as we always seem to be running out the door with breakfast in hand or having just inhaled some semblance of breakfast. And typically, breakfast is quite healthy, but I do like this idea since I know all that is in it and that it is quite kid friendly. They may think it's dessert for breakfast, but I know it's breakfast! Win win!!

**Note from Sunday: the popsicles were a hit! The kids loved them. Kyle even finished his. He's not a big breakfast eater so getting him to eat much more than (drinking) 2 cups of milk is a feat. I would modify the recipe a bit to make it a bit creamier, but otherwise the flavor was good.  

No comments: