Saturday, May 3, 2014

Ian & Judy visit

This weekend we had Ian and Judy in town from Australia. They are in the States for a month visiting and spending time with my family. They landed in LA and after a few days rest came down to San Diego to spend time with us. We haven't seen them since Tommy & Colleen's wedding (October 2010) so they hadn't met Aaron yet. The last time they were in San Diego was when Kyle & Emily were fairly young, probably 4. It was nice to have them here. 

My dad worked with Ian so between my dad's visits to Australia and Ian's visits to the States, he became part of our family. In fact, Ian saw my first points in basketball when I was just in 5th grade. We were talking about it and he said that he met my dad back in 1984 while we were still living in Ohio, before we moved to Chicago (October 1985). So in 1984 I would have been 6. It's amazing how time flies - he knew me when I was young and now he knows my kids as young ones. 

I distinctly remember the very first time we met Ian, how my sisters and brother and I went to O'Hare to pick him up with a sign with his name on it. Of course this was back in the day when you could actually go into the airport and meet someone at their gate. We kept thinking his name was "eye-an", not "ee-an". After a fairly adventurous trek around the airport (it was huge and we were given mostly free reign to find him) we found him and found my dad again. 

I recall many conversations with Ian at my childhood house about school, basketball, college and even about where to study abroad when I was in college. He has been a part of my life and it has been wonderful to continue to have Ian & Judy in my life as my Australian parents and to meet my kids and be part of their life as their Australian grandparents. 
Aaron on the covered wagon in Old Town when we went with Ian & Judy
Ian & Aaron
Ian, Judy & me
Ian, Judy, Aaron & me

No comments: