Thursday, September 2, 2010

Two wheeler!

So the training wheels on Emily & Kyle's bikes already needed replacing. They are clearly kids who love to ride their bikes. When the new wheels for Emily's bike arrived first, both Kyle and Emily insisted they wanted to try riding a two wheeler. Okay. Why not? We put on knee and elbow pads and started off. Kyle first.

I started off holding the bike up by the back of the seat for him, but he wasn't really needing my help. So I let go, but running along side him, I had my arms there to catch him if he fell. After about 10 seconds of this, he insisted he didn't need any help. He was right! I ran along side him, but not really able to help him unless he fell the right way. But he didn't need any help! He just got it! I really think he had a good sense of balance from riding his friend Dax's balance bike quite a few times. Nonetheless, it was amazing how he pretty much just got it on his first try without training wheels! The next day Kyle focused on using the pedal brakes, instead of his shoes to stop. The following day, he learned how to get started himself. That is, he learned how to coordinate the process of getting the pedals started with his balance, rather than me holding the bike up so he could start pedaling and then go. It really is amazing how fast this all came together for him! And he's just 4 years old!

Emily gave it a try as well, but she was uncomfortable with the wobble and kept reaching for my arms instead of the handle bars. She tried again the following day, but wasn't really interested, again because the wobble scared her. She will be ready when she's ready.

Please excuse the bouncing videos (first 2) from my running, as I felt I had to be nearby just in case. But he was just fine!


Kyle's first ride, on camera


And finally, this is a long one, but it shows Kyle a few days later, riding again, starting, stopping, one hand, turning all by himself. It is less bouncy, but I am riding my bike behind him so there is some wobble. And yes, you will see that he's still riding Emily's bike. Kyle's bike is just a little too tall to be a 2 wheeler bike for them just yet. It's fine for training wheels because they don't need to touch the ground when they come to a stop, but Kyle needs to grow another 1/2 inch before he can switch back to it as his 2 wheeler bike. So in the meantime, they have nicely traded bikes so they each can ride one safely.

No comments: