Monday, April 6, 2009

Spike vs. potty training

This weekend, Spike gave us the awesome gift of double digits and watched Kyle and Emily. She is here now for a guest post on her fun adventures with the kids:

Hello everyone! Long time reader, first time writer. Now, I was a bit nervous about being solely responsible for the twins from Friday evening until Saturday afternoon. I figured that if I was left with two kids, that it would be expected that there were still two kids when Barlo and Jeff returned. I must also say that this was my first time being responsible for Kyle and Emily now that they wear big kid underpants instead of diapers. The following anecdotes are due to my weekend goal of not being peed on.

Friday evening I was instructed that Emily was fine through the night wearing big girl underpants, whereas Kyle needed a diaper. Now I really hoped they slept through the night, and didn't want to worry about midnight sheet changes. After putting the diaper on Kyle, the following conversation ensued:

me: Emmy, would you like to wear a diaper like Kyle?
Emmy: No, I wear dora underpants.
me: really, are you sure. do you want to wear your dora underpants over a diaper like Kyle?
Emmy: No, I wear these (pointing at Dora underpants)
(I grab a diaper with a purple doggie on it)
me: Emmy, don't you want the purple doggie?
Emmy: okay!

Yes, I was very proud of my cunning, hoping I hadn't set potty training back any further. Fortunately, there were no accidents during the night. And as expected Emmy would have been fine without the diaper.

Fast forward to the next day, when we were playing doctor before naptime.

Kyle's Bum: toooooooooot!!
me: Kyle, do you need to go potty?
Kyle: yes, no , yes
me: Kyle, do you need to go potty?
Kyle: mumbles
me: Kyle if you don't tell me and then you make a mess you are going to be unhappy.
Kyle: I have to potty now

Kyle and I go to the bathroom he says he's done and we head back to play some more before naptime.

Kyle: Uh-oh spaghettios. Uh-oh spaghettios.
me: Kyle, what's wrong?
Kyle: Uh-oh spaghettios.
me: What's wrong?
Kyle: Don't worry Docta Spike, I'm not unhappy. Its okay Docta Spike, I'm not unhappy.

I finally realize that the side of Kyle's shorts are not dry, and that he had a little accident. All was well, we got him cleaned up and I certainly put a diaper on him for naptime!

Sunday, I came back to visit and go shopping with Barlo. When we got back Kyle had an owie, so he sat on my lap. Again, we had a similar conversation involving him not quite deciding if he needed to go potty.

Me: Kyle, do you need to go potty.
Kyle: Yes, no, yes.
Me: okay
Kyle: Sorry Dr. Spike I made you messy. Its okay Docta Spike I made you messy.

Yes, yes Kyle peed on me. But at least he very nicely apologized, and Barlo loaned me a pair of shorts to wear home.

1 comment:

Chryssi said...

Love it!

You almost made it Spikey!