Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Creativity and logic

The kids imaginations are starting to take off. The other day Emily made up her own song about a butterfly as she was taking a bath. Up to this point, when the kids made up songs, it would consist of pretty much one word. So we'd have the monkey, monkey, monkey song. Emily created the butterfly song that went something like, "I'm a beautiful twirling butterfly. I'm not a caterpillar. I fly in the water."

Kyle is getting good at weaving up stories. The other day they dismantled the DVD shelf of their videos. Kyle put his Diego video in his backpack and when he later pulled it out, the following conversation ensued:
Kyle: I got my Diego show out da store. [*the both say "out" for "at"]
Mommy: How nice.
Kyle: I went to the store all by myself!
Mommy: Really! How did you get there?
Kyle: I rode my bike there.
Mommy: Really! Mommy and Daddy and Emily didn't go with you?
Kyle [proudly]: Nope. I went all by myself!
Mommy: Oh my! How did you pay for the show? Did you have some money with you?
Kyle: ... [thinks] mmmmmm... I didn't!

And this past weekend we went to a friend's 2 year birthday party. Instead of the traditional goody bags, they gave each kid a gift to unwrap. Kyle and Emily LOVED this and I think it's such a great idea we may just do the same thing for their birthday party. Anyhow, they both unwrapped it before we left and as we approached the car, you could see the wheels churning in Kyle's head as he said, "I ate some cake! I got a present! [pause, pause] It's my birthday Mommy!" That's some impressive logic for a nearly 3 year old if you ask me!

Kyle and Emily just had a cute conversation after lunch today...
Kyle [pulling his Diego backpack over to the kitchen sliding door]: I'm going to the airport. [Tries to open the door.]
Emily: Wait Kyle, we need tickets!!! [runs to Jeff's office and comes out with a box of business cards] Look!!!! I have the tickets!!!!

No comments: