Friday, March 27, 2009

Linguistic laudables

I know, I know, I am writing a lot of the same thing over and over, but Kyle and Emily's language usage and understanding is just amazing. They start as little, tiny babies crying, cooing and grunting (not necessarily in that order) and progress to fluent kids in such a short time! I've had 6.25 years of French language instruction from 7th grade to first quarter in college and came NOWHERE near fluent! And babies just pick it up! Awesome! So the latest cool things they have said:

At breakfast, Kyle found their sunglasses sitting on the counter. He says, "we wear sunglasses to protect our eyes!" Emily then says, "and we wear hats too!" I asked them "why do you wear your hats and sunglasses?" Emily replies, "because it's sunny Mommy!" And tonight at dinner, I asked Emily about the sticker on her forehead. Her most favorite place to put stickers is the middle of her forehead. The other day she wore a squirrel sticker on her forehead ALL day! She will also put stickers on her hands and legs, but without fail, one goes on her forehead. Anyhow, I said, "Emily, why do you have a sticker on your forehead?" She replies, "Because I like it there Mommy." I loved her use of "because". It's just something you pick up in hearing language, not something you really teach your kids to say. I know it's so simple, but just how they pick these things up and incorporate the correct usages is neat to see.

Kyle is fascinated by any map we see. He is very quick to point out any map from out on our runs to looking through magazines, he finds them and accurately says, "that's a map Mommy! Can we look at that map?" So the kids are learning the states in the U.S. We have a little static cling / plastic map that goes onto the sliding door with all of the states on them so we look at it and talk about the states. They are really good at California, Illinois (which they know as Chicago), Florida and are learning Indiana and Texas. Today I was wearing a longsleeve triathlon shirt of Jeff's from 1994(!) and Emily pointed to the "O" in Illinois which was represented by a picture of Illinois instead of an actual "O". She says to me, "Mommy, that's on our map!" I pointed out the state of Illinois on our map to them, showing them that what is on my shirt and the map is the same, the state of Illinois. Emily was thrilled! "That's Illinois Mommy!" Kyle chimed in, "Do you see Indiana next to Illinois on that map too Mommy?!" I love it! I want to teach them the "Fifty Nifty United States" song as well while learning the map.

No comments: